Providing socialization and referrals for Meals on Wheels West clients.
COVID-19 has changed all of our daily lives. Meals on Wheels West has modified our programs in order to better protect the vulnerable community members we serve. More than 75% of our clients live alone. A key part of the change is delivering multiple meals twice a week instead of daily deliveries of single meals. Shifting the delivery schedule will help to minimize potential transmission of COVID-19 to our clients and volunteers. However, the daily Wellness Check is still a crucial component of our Delivering More Than a Meal program so Meals on Wheels West is turning to volunteers to call clients on days we do not deliver to do a phone Wellness Check.
To sign up to make Phone Reassurance calls you can contact Maggie, Phone Reassurance Volunteer Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (310)394-5133×3.
Spanish-speaking, Russian-speaking and English-speaking volunteers are needed!
What will phone reassurance look like?
- Calls will be on Tuesday between the hours of 10:30am-2pm and Thursday between the hours of 2-5pm.
- Each volunteer will need to complete an online background check and fill out a non-disclosure agreement in order to protect MOW West clients
- Each volunteer will receive guidelines & a sample script for the calls.
- Each volunteer will receive 2-5 clients to call once a week
- Each call should take about 5-10 minutes
Mark Shephard from Santa Monica Rotary making his Phone Reassurance calls to Meals on Wheels West clients.